Sunday, October 28, 2012

Designer Meeting #4: Elizabeth Hallie Vy

Onto my gown designer hunt, the last designer on my list is Elizabeth Hallie Vy. She's another W@W find, whose creations suited my taste. My inspirations are on the simple, classy, romantic designs with lace craftsmanship as the star of the dress. When I saw this designer's work, I just knew I gotta inquire with her to check if her price range is within what we're willing to spend.

As I wait for her response, I learnt that a friend of mine recently commissioned Hallie for a long dress she wore to a wedding. From what I saw from the pictures, the dress of my friend was lovely; and cleanly sewn too. Days after, the email I’ve been waiting for landed in my inbox, and she quoted me a reasonable price for the design I want. Soon, the consultation date and time has been smoothly arranged via email as she was quick to reply already after the initial lag. Presto, another designer meeting in Adrin’s and mine’s calendar.

Appointment day came and after meeting for lunch, Adrin and I headed to Hallie’s place in Urdaneta Village. Hers was an expansive abode, with house staffs greeting and leading clients to the actual office. Upon seeing us, it appears to me that she’s not expecting anyone at that time. I had to remind her a bit of the appointment we set thru mail. Not sure if she actually remembered it, but she shortly seated us on her desk and started on the agenda.

Her first question to me was whether I have pegs or sample gowns I want, which I quickly answered positively while simultaneously bringing out the printouts from my bag. She asked me what I liked about those dresses so I next pointed out the details that appealed to me. After which, Hallie began sketching for the dress quietly. It was only after she finished with both the front and back views did she explain her plan. As she tells us more about it, I’m not exactly charmed as what she drew is very similar to the designs I’ve shown her. Sharing that I want a “second look”, she proceeded to draw, and it was only then that I actually got excited as I got to see her own creativity manifest in that sheet of paper without veering much from my aesthetic preferences.




We discussed as well the kinds of fabrics she’ll use and requested to see some samples. Apparently there are no fabric swatches in her office, so she had to call a staff for the fabric to be brought in there. This is where I was truly turned off, because as she phoned her staff, her tone was quite harsh for my liking.

Last agenda for the meeting is the entourage dresses. She shared us the cost for those dresses and drafted a bridal package for us to ponder on. Aside from bridal dresses and entourage, she also creates barongs for grooms which she included in the package she printed out. Commissioning her for a bridal gown though would entitle you to the standard wedding accessories like pillows, cord, primary and secondary veil and pouch. The unique item in her freebies would be the customized shoes for the bride. After that, we quickly wrapped up and we’re led out of their place.

Getting in the car, Adrin’s first question was, “Ano, nakapili ka na?”. Instantly I know that he didn’t like how the meeting went. The whole thing only lasted 20mins., and this has been the shortest meeting we ever had for a designer. It’s mainly because Hallie was not much of a talker. She barely asked us about our preparations. Whenever we ask something, her responses are somewhat one-liners, and there was no small talk whatsoever. All three other designers we met before her were not as silent as she was.  Given that I’m new to this, and am not quite a talker myself, I feel that I’ll have a hard time working with her. Working out a bridal gown is not a once or twice meet-up with the couturier. I see it as a partnership between the bride and the designer. And in this flight, I know that she’s not the right partner for me. 


Elizabeth Hallie Vy
Elizabeth Vy Designs
Email: ehlvph@gmail.com


Cheers!


2 comments:

  1. Hindi parin nagbago? Based on experience, this designer actually is not a good people person. If I can only turn back time... I wouldn't get her. Luckily, she delivered well when it came to my gown. I was happy. But the experience, totally bad. She wouldn't reply to emails and messages unless kulitin mo, won't answer calls, makes you wait... Yeah! she wouldn't mind losing clients nor customers getting pissed off. She better close shop nalang if ganun siya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thanks for dropping by. I'm glad you loved that dress despite the whole experience. At the end of the day, that's what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete