Sunday, January 27, 2013

Our Laid Back 4th Anniversary


Last Monday was our fourth anniversary, which also happened to be the anniversary of our engagement. Our original plan is to celebrate it in Japan as we have our short vacation, but due to some uncontrollable events, the trip was pushed to February. That left us with an ordinary weekday anniversary. 

And so with the trip waiting the following month, we wanted to be frugal on the day itself. We gunned for a simple dinner at Shi Lin, our favourite place to devour those soupy dumplings called Xiao Long Bao. It's their Alabang Town Center branch that we headed to this time to have those steaming goodness.

Our simple dinner


After eating to our heart’s content, we window shopped a bit before finally going to the movie house to see Life of Pi. We were enticed to watch because of raves for its digital effects, but after the movie, we walked out also captured by the witty and interesting lines. We even found ourselves dissecting the script on the ride home. Haha.  



With the car already parked in front of our house, Adrin suddenly leaped out announcing that he has a gift for me. Clutching a guitar, he returned to the driver’s seat. Unfortunately the limited space made it hard for him  to play the guitar so we moved to the back seat. As we comfortably took our places, he started strumming. I didn’t know what song it is at first until he sang the first line. It was Grow Old With You! At that point, I lightly laughed and told him “Sumu-Zoren ka ah!” and continued listening to his singing. What’s most touching is the fact that I know how huge an effort it was for him dish such act. You see, Adrin considers himself musically challenged and believes that he eternally could not carry a tune. Him singing in karaoke would be a once in a blue moon occurrence.

With the last strum of his fingers, I hugged and kissed him with tears in my eyes. I just can’t help being emotional realizing the lengths he’d go just to surprise me. I again kidded him of doing a Zoren but he countered that he didn’t know that the actor also sang that song in his grand surprise for Carmina. He told me that he learned the chords two weeks before and was so nervous that I’d see the guitar in his car.

His surprises for me


We eventually went inside the house where I hurriedly recovered my gift for him. I actually had it with me since November and was fighting the excitement to hand it to him prematurely. It was a story photobook  of our 4-year journey together. He started leafing through it and would stop at some pages longer than usual, retrieving those instances from his memory bank perhaps. =)

My gift to him



Here are some of my favorite pages from our photo storybook (some pages are soft copies). 














He rendered a repeat performance after reading our story book. And yes, I was his lone audience still. =)

The repeat performance

Oh what a good night it was - far different from our past 3 anniversaries, but nonetheless cheesy. Again, Happy Anniversary Sweetie! I’m excited to spend the rest of my life with you! =)


Cheers!






2 comments: