Monday, August 20, 2012

Designer Meeting #3: Hana Saab-Tomacruz of Saab Fashion House


This designer is another w@w find. I came across her name months into the wedding planning. And now that we’re into the designer hunt, I made sure to set a meeting with her.

It was a morning appointment at her shop in San Juan, and we got there right in time. Adrin and I were led by Hana’s husband to their small office and after a few minutes, Hana already joined us. She immediately struck me as very mahinhin and soft-spoken. I made my spiel about our purpose for the appointment, which is to consult with her and check if she can make a design for me similar to my preferences. I showed her the printouts of my gown pegs and that’s when she started to work.

First thing she did was to check my body type, after which she started sketching with a sign pen (take note,  sign pen, not pencil) in hand. Simultaneously, she is explaining the type of materials she plans to use for the dress as well as the appliques that’ll be carefully sewn on the fabric. I was surprised when she immediately outlined the back and side views once the front look was done. She was the only designer we met to care sketching the side view of her design. I was really happy she did that because for me it indicates that she has a 360 degree picture in her mind of something she might possibly create.

Hana was also very proactive to show to us her fabric swatches for the different layers of the gown, starting from the shell (innermost) to the outermost fabric. During the discussion, it was also shared to us that the petticoats they provide are custom made for each client. This is somewhat different from the usual practice of other designers which is providing store-bought ones. After showing us the fabrics and petticoats, we were also able to see some beads and appliques that she uses. And for us to better imagine how things will look once everything has been put together, she let us see a gown already for fitting by one of her clients.

After discussing details for the gown, we moved on to the (1) gown inclusions--veils, cord, pillows, and arrhae; (2) payment terms, and (3) on the day service provided. Aside from that, Adrin and I made sure to also check with her the rates and specifications for entourage dresses. At the end of the meeting, we agreed that we’ll think about things first and will instantly touch base with her once we decided to get her for my gown.

Just like before, as soon as we got into the car, Adrin and I shared our observations and take on the designer we’ve just met. I told him, I like the fact that she was soft-spoken and mahinhin because it makes me comfortable to share all my ideas and preferences. I also find her very organized, with all those carefully kept swatches; and into the details, because of the way she has planned in that instant the fabric layering that will be done. Not to mention the confidence I sensed behind the small soft voice, considering that she’s only been into bridal gown designing for 2 years.

Adrin, on the other hand, found her very structural -- meaning she works with a plan and carefully thought out steps in mind. He liked the fact that Hana’s first consideration before designing anything was my body type. To him, this means that Hana will only create something that will be flattering for me. It will also be very good for us that this designer even thinks our maximum budget for a bridal gown is more than enough for my preferred style. Makes us comfortable that we'll surely get our money's worth and won't be shortchanged should we decide to get her for the job. 

As of today, Hana of Saab Fashion House is the frontrunner couturier in our quest for the perfect dress. Sorry no sketch pictures this time. Her paper output contains much too much detail that I find it inappropriate to broadly share to the public.


Hana Saab-Tomacruz
Saab Fashion House
View Website
Email: hycsaab@yahoo.com
Tel. No.: 0915-2596792


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment