Monday, August 13, 2012

Designer Meeting #2: Von Lazaro of Carmen Lazaro Couture


Carmen Lazaro Couture (CLC) was the first ever bridal gown designer that caught my attention. I came across the brand in one of the wedding blogs I followed way back in February. I must say, the dress of that bride is simple but very lovely. Next, I looked it up to view other works and price range, and that was when I seriously considered inquiring with them for my own gown.

Fast forward to July, after booking our major suppliers, I decided to start my hunt for my gown designer. Together with other designers that I noted, I inquired with CLC via email. Soon after, I requested for a consultation appointment to further discuss my preferences and gauge if I’ll be comfortable working with them.

Last Saturday, Adrin and I went to CLC’s shop in Manila to meet with Von Lazaro. He actually is the person behind CLC, and Carmen Lazaro is his mom who used to do the same business but already ventured out to other things. He used her name as his brand, probably to start his business off with equity five years ago. 

When we got to their shop, we were seated by one of the seamstress’ as Von was still entertaining a client. While waiting, we saw how the dressmakers do their stuff on some yet to be gowns in their dress-form and sewing machines. Once it was our turn, Von led us upstairs to his mini office and started our meeting. He checked my physique first and then provided inputs to the sample designs I like. He explained the logic of having gowns in normal waist and dropped waist, as well as ball gowns and A-lines. He’s quick to share what will fit me well, and Filipinas in general, and also those styles that will be quite a challenge.

I asked if he can design something for me that is similar to my pegs, and to this he obliged. After doing the sketches, he explained the fabrics that he’ll be using and showed me his fabric swatches. We discussed the inclusions of the gowns, fitting schedule and requirements, payment terms, and on the day service. Rates for entourage gowns were also discussed for our future reference.

All in all it was a good meeting; we surely learned a thing or two. Von was really nice to talk to and also very generous to share his inputs. Our only concern is that designing may not be his best card. We noticed when he was sketching that it was not as free flowing as it should be for a designer. He appeared to be struggling with his pencil and paper that he took quite a long time to draw a simple design.  Sure Carmen Lazaro Couture can produce such lovely gowns, but it seems that their best is at copying each and every detail of a design that you show them. They would be a good choice for brides out there who already had their hearts set to a specific gown design and nothing else.

Here are the two sketches he made for me. 




Carmen Lazaro Couture
Tel No.: 0917-5130082



Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment